Sunday, May 6, 2012

Forming Letters by Hand

I'm not a wordsmith, but I've always loved the act of putting words onto paper by hand. I love how my hand collaborates with the writing instrument to create a series of letters. This love has led me to take classes with Carrie Imai and obsessively poring over books on calligraphy, like Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy by Eleanor Winters and Calligraphy 101 by Jeaneen Gauthier, so I can learn to form beautiful letters.

Lately, I've been attracted to other ways of forming letters by hand, and just last week, I had the opportunity to explore handmade typography with one of the masters in the field, John Clark from LookingLA. From him I learned to craft and refine my letterforms made of paper. Here is my creation:


This gave me all kinds of ideas for where I want to go with this new knowledge and skill. I'm sure I'll be sharing them with you here at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment